As a Backend engineer you will be supporting Lightspeed's Hospitality product group on the mission to expand our reach into new markets and countries while enhancing our advanced hospitality commerce platform.
For this role specifically, you will be joining the North American squad. This squad focuses on further enhancing our product suite with a special focus on North American requirements. With research, product development, product design, engineering, and marketing all collaborating in one organization, we're able to quickly create meaningful features and services for millions of people around the world, resulting in joyful, long-lasting relationships for our customers.
We are looking for a thoughtful, well-rounded Backend engineer to join our team and help build tools that thousands of customers use every single day to manage their hospitality offering. You will join a healthy and collaborative team, continuously improving our engineering practices, delivering state of the art technology, all while keeping it fun.
Above all, your work will change the way the world experiences hospitality!
What you’ll be responsible for
- Creating and extending functionality of our products by contributing to our microservice-based platform
- Developing clean and highly maintainable code
- Extending our continuous integration / continuous deployment environment
- Working as part of a team (squad) to deliver product features and functionality
- As part of a squad you get to work with our Product Managers, Architects and Principal developers
- Extending your very own skills by learning from and growing with the team
What you’ll be bringing to the team
- Excellent communication skills
- Good knowledge in the Java ecosystem:
- Maven (or Gradle)
- Mockito, Junit, Spock, Cucumber
- Hibernate or other ORM
- Experience with both relational (SQL) and non-relational (NoSQL) databases
- Running Java container in the cloud
- CI/CD one of (Jenkins, Travis, Teamcity, CircleCi or others)
- Solid foundation of knowledge in computer science
- Able to analyse production problems, incidents and performance issues.
Even better if you have, but not necessary
- Experience in multiple Java ecosystem frameworks to build Microservices.
- Experience writing automated unit and functional tests with one of the frameworks.
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Experience with cloud environments like GCP, AWS, as well as cloud solutions like Kubernetes, Docker, etc.
- Experience with real time messaging systems (Pub/Sub, Kafka, etc.)
- Computer Sciences degree or equivalent
Who you are
- You are a team-player who likes to contribute to discussions and share your own experience.
- You are self-motivated with the ability to function effectively in a team environment with minimum supervision.
- You are always seeking improvement and progress.
- You are eager to make decisions and not afraid of making mistakes.
What is in for you
- Lots of autonomy, flexible work culture and possibility of remote work
- Development of very high traffic products, used at the global scale
- Exposure to modern and proven technology
- Opportunity to learn and expand your skill set
- Tons of growth opportunities into technical or people management roles
- Amazing benefits & perks, including equity for all Lightspeeders
- Opportunity to join a fast-paced, high-growth company
- Become a valued part of the diverse and inclusive Lightspeed family
To all recruitment agencies: Lightspeed does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. If we have not directly engaged your company in writing to supply candidates for a specific vacancy, Lightspeed will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Where to from here?
Obviously, this has to be mutually beneficial: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day. For a glimpse into our world check out our career page here.
Lightspeed is building communities through commerce, and we need people from all backgrounds and lived experiences to do that. We were founded in 2005, in Montreal’s gay village and our original members were all part of the LGBTQ+ community. The ethos of our business has been about inclusion from the very beginning, and we strive to provide a workplace where everyone belongs.
Who we are:
Lightspeed (TSX/NYSE: LSPD) powers the businesses that are the backbone of the global economy.
Our one-stop commerce platform transforms and unifies digital and physical operations by enabling multichannel sales, expansion to new locations, global payments, financial solutions and connection to supplier networks. With the Lightspeed commerce platform, merchants in retail and hospitality can build thriving businesses for the future.
Headquartered in Montréal, Canada, Lightspeed is trusted by favourite local businesses, where the community goes to shop and dine in over 100 countries. Lightspeed has offices in Canada, the USA, Europe, Russia and APAC.
We’re passionate about enabling people to do their best work. We dream big and we’re looking for people who do the same. With us, career milestones happen often and we celebrate every one. Come work with us and find out where your career will take you at Lightspeed!