As Lightspeed’s Legal Counsel, you will serve as a key member of its European legal team and contribute to developing and scaling its European legal operations. We’re looking for a generalist who is well versed in UK law and who is fluent in English and French or Dutch. Come and help us build our communities!
What you’ll be responsible for
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating vendor agreements and commercial contracts and templates with large customers, strategic partners, resellers and suppliers, primarily but not exclusively for the UK.
- Serving as a trusted advisor to key stakeholders including the Sales, Marketing, Product, Technology, Support, Procurement, Finance, and HR teams;
- Owning UK corporate matters and legal entity management
- Assisting with drafting, revising, implementing and interpreting the company’s compliance policies, procedures and programs;
- Offering legal trainings to colleagues and stakeholder groups;
- Assisting with litigation management, M&A and similar transactions, privacy and other compliance matters, as needed;
- Liaising with external counsel, regulatory bodies and government authorities as required;
- Providing ad hoc analysis and supporting complex, cross-functional and/or multi-jurisdictional projects and special requests from the executive team.
What you’ll be bringing to the team
- 5 years of experience in a law firm and/or as in-house counsel
- Broad generalist experience with a strong knowledge of UK law (including Northern Ireland), including but not limited to commercial, corporate, employment and privacy law.
- Native / professional-level proficiency in English and French or Dutch
- Comfortable communicating with colleagues and stakeholders on different levels and with different professional and cultural backgrounds
Who you are
- You are a good lawyer: you are an analytical thinker, you are detail-oriented and autonomous, you can handle and prioritize a high volume of assignments, and you demonstrate a high standard of professional ethics and integrity.
- You have an in-house mindset: you are pragmatic and solutions oriented, you are driven by delivering a high level of service to your stakeholders, you have a hand=on mentality and you take initiative!
- You are a team player: you are a strong communicator, you have excellent interpersonal skills and you can bridge cultural differences. You want to exchange ideas effectively and be a good teammate - we work as a team!
- You are in for the ride: you are eager to help us scale our business and processes, you can tackle all kinds of problems, you are focused on constant improvement, you are motivated by new experiences
Even better if you have, but not necessary
- Experience working in an international environment, across different jurisdictions and languages;
- Experience working with cloud-based software and payments providers;
- Additional European Languages in addition to English and Dutch or French;
- Knowledge of and experience with IP, VAT, Fiscalization, and EU law.
What’s in it for you
- This is your chance to play a key role in continuing to build and scale the legal function in Europe for a global, fast growing company.
- Amazing benefits & perks, including equity for all Lightspeeders and a dynamic environment.
- Opportunity to learn, expand your skill set, forge wonderful relationships and make your mark within the diverse and inclusive Lightspeed family.
- Supportive colleagues, strong culture of collaboration cross-functionally, cool tech law problems to solve on a daily basis.
Who we are
Lightspeed (TSX/NYSE: LSPD) powers the businesses that are the backbone of the global economy.
Our one-stop commerce platform transforms and unifies digital and physical operations by enabling multichannel sales, expansion to new locations, global payments, financial solutions and connection to supplier networks. With the Lightspeed commerce platform, merchants in retail and hospitality can build thriving businesses for the future.
Headquartered in Montréal, Canada, Lightspeed is trusted by favourite local businesses, where the community goes to shop and dine in over 100 countries. Lightspeed has offices in Canada, the USA, Europe, Russia and APAC.
We’re passionate about enabling people to do their best work. We dream big and we’re looking for people who do the same. With us, career milestones happen often and we celebrate every one. Come work with us and find out where your career will take you at Lightspeed!