The Senior SRE is a member of a cross-product DevOps team which supports Lightspeed’s growing development teams with the infrastructure needed to run our products reliably. You will advise on and deploy new technologies as needed by the business, monitor and improve performance of infrastructure systems, support continuous integration, and nurture development teams towards the implementation of continuous deployment. Automation is at the heart of our workflows, repeatable automation is achieved through infrastructure code.
The Amsterdam team is currently mostly developer-focused, with most operations in Montreal, this position was opened to strengthen the operations skillset in Amsterdam. You can count on support from both local members of the development team and the DevOps teams in other locations.
You’ll do all that in an environment which currently contains a mix of bare metal and cloud resources, with a goal to move more towards the cloud to be aligned the rest of our products. Our cloud provider is AWS, which we automate using a mix of Terraform and SparkleFormation. The server layer itself is managed via Chef cookbooks, both community and in-house code. The monitoring and profiling aspects are mostly handled via Datadog and New Relic integrations. All of our infrastructure is made up of Linux boxes.
Now we get to brag about us: Lightspeed provides retailers and restaurateurs the simplest way to build, manage, and grow their business while crafting a better customer experience. Lightspeed empowers small business owners with a complete overview of their business in one place - more than 50,000 businesses processing over $15 billion in transactions annually use Lightspeed’s mobile Point of Sale software and eCommerce platform to manage inventory, customer preferences, sales, and analytics to get a complete overview of their business in one place. Founded in 2005 with offices in Canada, USA, and Europe, Lightspeed has received one of the largest funding for a Canadian tech company which has us well positioned to become Canada's next great technology success story. We're passionate about enabling people to do their best work. Come work with us and find out what you can do.
- Resolve service problems (you will be a part of a weekly on-call rotation);
- Contribute to service capacity planning and demand forecasting;
- Evaluate and evolve ongoing design, architecture, standards, and methods for Lightspeed eCom’s infrastructure and systems.
- Use automation extensively to deploy, configure, manage, and monitor systems in support of our products and their development teams;
- Support the team’s continuous integration and continuous deployment initiatives;
- 5-7 years’ experience with Linux/Unix administration;
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (AWS, Azure, GCE, etc.);
- SQL Database experience (MySQL);
- NoSQL database experience (Ex. Redis);
- Experience with high availability strategies;
- Understanding of version control (Git, GitHub);
- Familiarity with the networking stack;
- Security awareness;
- Excellent English communication skills;
- Must have strong communication skills to empower distributed teams;
- Must be able to read, write and review automation code (ruby, python, bash, etc.);
- Experienced in use of configuration management tools like Chef, Ansible, or Puppet;
- Knowledge of high-level programming languages (PHP, NodeJS, etc.);
- Deep knowledge of Chef internals;
- Knowledge of French and/or Dutch;
- Ability to openly debate technical decisions.
And when you’re not working on the Operations?
In addition to the perks you see in the Careers page, you’ll get access to:
- Ability to work with highly skilled people and grow within the global Lightspeed Development team
- Even if we became bigger everyone has an impact on the company as a whole
- We encourage initiatives and leadership
- Dedicated innovation time built in to your sprint
- Tech talks - Sharing is caring :)
- Happy hour every Friday afternoon
- Fun activities with your teammates - Be part of the Lightspeed Family!
Do you want to experience Lightspeed before applying? Come meet us at our open house event on the 6th of February. Register via Eventbrite